Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Miracles


Good Morning!

I have been anxious to send an update to all of you, but I'm glad to report that I've been either too busy or too tired to sit down at the keyboard. All of that translates to good news as we continue to be witness to one miracle after another. It may seem to you that I use that word, miracle, too often now, but I would argue that I just didn't recognize it often enough before. Let me give you just a sampling:

I was at home on Friday, September 12 when I received the call from Arizona about what had happened to Graham. In the previous 15 or more years, I had always traveled on that same Friday representing the College at the Northern Idaho Counselor's Day. This year, circumstances didn't allow for that and Silvia went in my place. As a result, I was able to meet Tammi at our home and we traveled together to Phoenix. I can't imagine making that trip separately or with more hours between us.
When Graham and his friend were beaten and lay unconscious on the street, they were found immediately by other students who called 911. The response time was absolutely critical in mitigating the potential damages of Graham's head injury.
The hospital that Graham was taken to specializes in traumatic brain injuries and the Level 1 trauma unit was incredible!
The doctor on call who performed the neuro surgery on Graham is from the well known Barrow Institute and has the reputation as one of the best neurosurgeons in Arizona, if not the nation. Graham is now his best reference!
Those are certainly some of the easiest to describe and each strikes me as miraculous because it could have so easily been different. The difference for us is God and the Grace and Mercy he has shown to us.

I have mentioned earlier that this ordeal had caused me to pay closer attention to the details and really value the moment. Some of my fellow "old-timers" at CSI might recall a guest lecturer, David Ellis (brother of CSI instructor Julie Ellis) who spoke at several orientations. His consistent message to students was to "be here now". I always liked the message and tried, with occasional success, to live that way. I am a full-fledged convert now and will try to convince the rest of you that it's a good place to be!

Last Friday, Graham was moved to the Rehabilitation Floor of the Scottsdale Health Clinic where he began a fairly rigorous schedule of rehab with speech, physical, and occupational therapists. Some major miracles included the removal of all staples, stitches, and diet restrictions. One of my most proud moments was to have Graham join my father, my brother, Tammi, and me in the hospital cafeteria. I was so proud to introduce him to the friends I'd made there, including Carlos, my Starbucks caffeine dealer! That same afternoon, Graham's physical therapist walked Graham (with Tammi and I trailing) through the Critical Care unit where we'd spent our first five days. Graham, thank God, couldn't remember anything about those days and Tammi and I remembered everything! Many of his nurses were there and their reactions are testimony to the miracle of his life. Graham enjoyed the celebrity status while I just cried! Incidentally, the Tempe police finally allowed Graham to be identified by his birth name. He came in as a John Doe without identification, was named and referred to throughout his stay as "Peanut Butter 66", and left as Graham Keith Stanley!

Graham has since been released to outpatient therapy and we have moved in with him and his two college roommates. It is an interesting, but necessary arrangement. Graham is not allowed to drive for three months and he has therapies, assessments, medications, and appointments daily. Graham has struggled with losing some of his independence and we probably struggle equally allowing it. I had an enlightening conversation with him this morning when he complained about wanting his life to be like it was. It was what I would expect a 22 year old son to say, but I offered my 50 year old father's perspective. Of course, there was a little distance between the perspectives, but I'll keep working on him!

Please forgive my long-winded reports, but these are part of my therapy! I have a strong need to share our news, our joy, and our faith. We remain convinced that God has carried Graham through these days and that your prayers, love, and support have inspired us. Please keep praying for Graham! XOXO from the Stanleys...

No comments: